that is deeply rooted always being made new.
Our roots are in Scripture, tradition and the Lutheran Confessions, as well as in the vibrant communities and rich histories of our congregations. These roots are an ongoing source of nourishment; they enable us to be a church, guided by the Holy Spirit, that is both resilient and always being reformed.
On January 26, 1886, the St. Paul Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Lutheran Augustana Synod of North America was organized in the community of Juddville, Door County, Wisconsin.
Services were originally conducted in the Norwegian language.
A Labor of Faith and Love
A member farmer, Otto Anderson, donated one-half acre plus 3 rods of land. It was suggested that each member contribute "the worth of a cow" to purchase building supplies. Members pledged to contribute cash, building materials or labor they were able to. Ole Christiansen and John Brude donated timber and together with other members brought the logs to the Baileys Harbor sawmill from which 12,000 feet of lumber was realized and brought to the premises. Stones for the foundation and steps came from the Charley Urdal farm. Other members put up the foundation. The cash cost of the church was $536 and the Ladies Aid raised three-fourths of the money needed. The cornerstone was laid in 1900 and, in addition to a copy of the Norwegian Constitution and the Door County Advocate, an 1891 New Testament, an 1890 dime and ten Indianhead pennies were placed inside.
Generation - to - Generation
Over the years, the Synodical affiliation of this congregation changed, English became the language of the people and the pulpit, and 26 pastors came to serve. Over the years, dedicated people worked to improve the building, to teach the children, to serve countless meals, and to reach out to those in need. For over 130 years, God's people at St. Paul have been a family connected to each other, and enabled by God to be a blessing to others in the community. While our culture has changed in many ways, our basic needs and God's gracious response has remained constant.